I spent the last week getting the new RetroPie images working on the PJ adapter. This is the first RetroPie release with Raspberry Pi4 support.
Unfortunately it wasn’t easy and it didn’t turn out well. The new release messes up the classification of my joystick driver, configuring it as a mouse. It somehow breaks scaling in vertical mode that I was not able to resolve. It removes useful emulators like mame2003 (from Pi1/Zero image at least), adds emulators that don’t run well on a Pi1/2/Zero. Raspberry Pi 4 has emulation sprite / background tearing and jitter issues when scrolling, with all emulation cores it seems. Then there are minor annoyances like the new video driver stack and changes to the PCM audio on the GPIO.
I did what I could at this time, adding emus and configuring everything to work, but some deal breaker issues remain, mainly scaling in vertical mode and Pi4 graphics jitter.
For this reason, vertical images will not be available for now. If using Pi3 or lower, stick with the 4.5.1 images at the moment. If buying a Pi for this, go with a Pi3. Honestly there is little reason to go with RetroPie 4.7.1 right now that I can see. If you already have a Pi4, try the 4.7.1 and let me know how it goes.
While Retropie is great for consoles, many of you want a good arcade emulation experience, and Retropie is not that. I will therefore spend the next while working on a stand alone minimalist MAME image as some have requested. It will be small and will boot straight to a game, with proper video mode setup to avoid any scaling issues. Much work has already been completed. More on this in the next post.
Unfortunately though, it wasn’t a complete success. The storage on the new server is only about 8GB while it should have about 120GB. This is something I only noticed after the work was all done, while putting up the large PJ images. It was once again a screw up on the part of my hosting provider….
The proper and easiest way to address this is to create a whole new VM from scratch and restore this site there from backup, which I’m not going to do after what I just went through with this migration.
For the time being I put all the large files on a mirror server, and linked to those instead.
Starting November 25th until the end of the week, the server hosting this website will be migrated to a new network. There may be outages, and large files that may not be available during this period. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Now that the beta test is finished, I’ve added a bunch of information on the video testers. These will be available for sale very, very soon. I want to have all the documentation in place before these go out.
I spent the last couple of days adding to the site in preparation for this. Please check out this page for more information on this project.
I also put together a guide on how to do basic testing and adjustment procedure using these testers and created a video on the project:
Thank you to those that have expressed interest in this project and those who helped beta test these over the last few months!
I added a new section to the site to list the new cabinet adapters. This includes the following dedicated adapters, as well as the three DIY cabinet adapter kits.
Sega System 8
Sega System 16
Universal Mr. Do
Namco Galaga / Digdug
The information on these is right here. I’ll be adding these to my ebay items very soon, but at this point I’m afraid I will not have the cycles to take any more additional orders with so many projects about to wrap up.
For now, the plan is to create all the documentation first and then to get these items listed for sale right after that.
I started updating the site again. First I’m going through some of the older pages and doing updated to complete some of the stuff that was left unfinished.
Next, I’m going to add a number of sections for stuff that is going to be released to the public. This includes the new cabinet adapters, video testers, the Rapberry Pi to JAMMA adapter, JAMMA Mate and JAMMA Test Card, and more.
As this is happening, I’ll also start listing my projects on eBay as well. I know a lot of folks have been asking for more info on these projects and where to get this stuff, and as I’m about to do this something always gets in the way.
Please stay tuned, and thank you for your interest my projects.
First of all, let me thank everyone that took a chance on my new project releases and helped my test them. Special thanks for the people out there (you know who you are) that reported back with feedback and provided suggestions on how to improve things.
The last few months were pretty exciting getting folks out there to put my stuff through the paces. These were some of my most complex projects to date and so the pressure was on.
Now that this is completed, based on the feedback I received, I believe these products are ready for public release:
PJ – Raspberry Pi to JAMMA Adapter
JAMMA Test Card
Video Testers (4 different designs)
Cabinet Adapters (11 out of 12 at least)
New JAMMA Adapters
I will be adding more information on these projects to the site, then listing them on Ebay soon after. Please check these out if you are interested and a big thank you in advance if you chose to support my work.